Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Most Horrible Thing Ever

Last Wednesday something terrible happened at my Library. (The Wednesday I am referring to was July 15--technically TWO Wednesdays ago. I am just now recovering from the terribleness of that day.)

Two nice-looking Human fellows in blue shirts came in and wandered around the building for a while. They were peeking in closets and looking up at the ceiling a lot. One of them had a big stick with a plastic-looking thingie on the end, and they kept sticking it over these round things with blinky lights that are up on my ceilings. They then would say "Thanks" to whoever let them in that particular room and move on to the next round thing. It turns out they were testing the smoke detectors, which is a Very Important Thing to Do.

I thought they were harmless.

No one told me they were also testing these things called Fire Alarms.

I thought Karen was coming for an afternoon visit whlie I napped by the restrooms. She sat down and started petting me, and I thought it was very Nice that she was so lonely for me. I was thinking about getting up and relocating back in my office chair.

Then Christine came for a visit. I should have known something Bad was going to happen when she showed up. Why was I so popular all of a sudden? When I sit by the restrooms, I usually only get visits when someone needs to visit "the facilities" or get into the storage room.

Then, in mid-petting, the Fire Alarm went off! It was absolutely positively the most Terrible sound in the Whole Wide World! It made my ears want to turn inside-out! (See reenacted shot below.)

I'm closing my ears at you!
I ran as fast as I could to get away from the sound, but it was coming from Everywhere! Lights were flashing, too, and I hunkered down on the ground and ran for the Downstairs. It was noisy and flashing down there, too, and then my Staff started chasing me, so I ran faster!

Fellow Cats, if you have never heard the sound of 14,000 square feets of library alarms warning people to get the heck out, just imagine about a dozen toddler girls sqealing "Kitty!!!!" into your ears. The effect would be similar, I think.

I think I'm still partially deaf from the experience.

Huh?

Tober

PS I am going to request that my Staff put one of those stickers on my Library doors that say "Please Mr. Fireman rescue the 1 cat that lives in this building." We can forget about the fishtank--they are swimming in fire putter-outer.

14 comments:

Jans Funny Farm said...

Oh, no. Even Jan hates to test our one smoke detector. It makes too much noise. That must have been terrifying. Hope there is never a real fire there.

The Island Cats said...

Oh no, Tober! How terrible that noise musta been! Our smoke detector has gone off in our house a couple of times when mom was cooking...and it was LOUD!! We can only imagine what it was like in your library! But we hear that having fire alarms is a good thing...just in case...we hope you never never hafta experience the real thing though!

Reese =^..^= said...

Poor Tober. That is a loud and horrible sound. It was nice so many of the purrsons were concerned about you. I bet you're glad that's over.

Unknown said...

Goodness sakes, that was quite a big event! Our smoke alarm came on once a long time ago and we thought that our momma was killing a chicken in the kitchen! WOWZA! Those things are horrible. We hope that you go double stinky goodness that nigh cuz you sure needed it.

Everycat said...

Poor Tober, what a horrible ordeal for you! Maybe next time they test the alarms, the humans could put you in a carrier and take you somewhere quiet and safe during the test? We think that putting a notice up so the fire fighters know you are there and must be rescued is a BRILLIANT idea!

Hope you are now chilled out and calm Tober!

Whicky Wuudler

Percy the Cat said...

That sounds scary! Our alarm has gone a couple of times when mum has been cooking in the kitchen, and it is very loud. But I bet it isn't as loud as all those alarms!

Misha said...

You poor thing! The fire alarm in our building is really loud, too. "Evacuate the building" it keeps saying, which is really hard to do when you're completely freaked out!

Cheyenne -Millie said...

We are sorry for you! That would be really scary to have to endure!

All noises that are loud freak me out!

The Kitty Krew said...

Oh Tober, you poor kitty! We agree, your beans should have done something a little better to protect you from such an awful event. We shudder at the pain and trauma you must have gone through.

Be sure and give them the Back of Disrespect for awhile longer.

Purrs and hugs,
The Kitty Krew

Poppy Q said...

Poor Tober, that sign sounds like a great idea. We worry about you being all alone in the library and there being a fire, so it is a good thing that they test the alarms and make sure they are working.

Smooches
Poppy Q

Tuck said...

That sounds terrible Tober! Maybe those people will never come back!

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Oh my gosh!! We bet your ears are still ringing!! Maybe nect time you can temporarily re-located to another building till the noise is tested and done. And one of those signs for the firemen to rescue you is a great and necessary thing to do!

Amy & the house of cats said...

Oh that had to be horrible for you! About a month ago I was at the hospital for a test when they decided to test their fire alarms - I swear I can still hear that horrible noise! I feel so bad for you having to go through that!!

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

fire putter-outer... Lol..

I hope those signs went up.. if not the ASPCA often hands them out.