Wednesday, November 25, 2020

I Did a Thing...

 As some of you may remember, about 11 and 1/2 months ago Barb L. set off with a goal to teach me how to ring a bell for treats.  You may also remember that she was not very successful initially.  And even when she claimed I was ringing the bell, it was really more like wishful thinking.   Those times when I "rang the bell" were the results of my paw slipping.  At first I was feeling stubborn.  No one can tell me what to do, I'm practically the boss around here.  So I decided to see how long it would take before Barb gave up.  

But despite my efforts to convince her that you can't teach a old cat new tricks, she kept at it.  11 and 1/2 months later, she was still getting the bell out and trying to get me to ring it.  Well, I decided that if Barb is going to keep at this forever, maybe I should go about it a different way.  So I chose to ring the bell.  Not like how she told me to, of course.  Barb wanted me to ring the bell with my paw, what she got is me ringing the bell with my nose.  

Ta-da! 

Maybe this isn't so bad...

I want to make it especially clear though, that I rang the bell because I wanted to, not because anyone told me I should.  After ringing the bell on my own terms, Barb was pretty ecstatic.  She began telling all the rest of the staff how I rang the bell with my nose.  I don't think Newbie Lillian believed her at first, until she put the bell out and watched me do it for herself.  

To be honest, I actually kind of like ringing the bell.  Because now I have one more way I can tell the staff when its time for a treat.  Well, at least I did, until they started keeping the bell in the drawer so I couldn't ring it whenever I wanted to.  That was a little miffing.  I didn't ring the bell for almost 12 months, and then when I do ring it, they put it away so I can only ring it when they want me to.  I guess that's just the way it goes.  Humans are very hard to make happy sometimes.  They want you to ring a bell, you ring the bell, and then they take the bell away.  I might never understand them.  

Still trying to figure out how to open the treat drawer,

Chance

6 comments:

da tabbies o trout towne said...

dood....we can total lee see ewe rang de bell on YUR termz and noe
one elze'z... tho we agreez....now that ewe ring de bell when ewe wanna ring de bell.. ya canna ring de bell when ewe want... coz de bellz outta site N outta mind....ewe knead a like a pry bar oh sortz ta stix in de bell drawer.. sew that when ewe due wanna ring de bell again .....ewe CAN

hay, heerz two a happee PIE day two morrow :) ♥♥

Summer said...

I ring a bell, and I enjoy it quite a bit!

John Bellen said...

Good for you, Chance! I laughed over you using your nose. Cats are individuals, after all, each one different.

Neelie said...

I've never seen a cat ring the bell with it's nose! You do things in your own time and your own way. Good for you!

Simba

Beth Waltz said...

Well done, Chance! A nose is as good as a paw!

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

We are very impressed, Chance! Now it's time to work on opening up that treat drawer!